We have implemented many initiatives that allow us to minimise the impact of our operation on the environment. These include:
- Recycling stations are situated throughout the venue for glass, plastic, paper and aluminium.
- Bio-degradable cups are available at water stations.
- Organic waste from the kitchen is collected by a local pig farmer.
- Paper & cardboard recycling stations are situated in administration offices, staff rooms and at conference registration desk.
- 100% recycled products are used for toilet & paper hand towels.
- Double side printing used when appropriate.
- When possible, re-usable containers are used from suppliers.
- Kitchen cooking oil is refreshed and old oil recycled locally.
- Filter coffee and sugar bowls are used to reduce individually wrapped condiments.
- We use biodegradable rubbish bags.
- We use rechargeable batteries when possible.
- Fluorescent light tubes, energy efficient light bulbs and battery waste are separated for collection.
- Micro cloths are used for cleaning.
- Any chemical products used for cleaning are carefully measured and highly diluted.
- Foaming soap dispensers are provided in all bathrooms to control quantity used.
- We use Kemsol Green cleaning products that meet Environmental Choice standards.
- Floors are steam cleaned.
- Air fresheners in bathrooms are atomised.
- We have a ‘Switch-off Policy’ in place for all lights, air-conditioning, heating and other electronic devices for all staff to adhere to when conference rooms are not in use.
- Light sensors are installed in all bathrooms, storage areas and outdoor security lighting.
- Natural light is utilised in upper level conference rooms during cleaning and set-up.
- Thermal lined drapes are featured in the upper level conference rooms.
- A cold water high pressure rinse tap operates in the kitchen to reduce hot water use.
- We continually monitor our energy use and work towards reducing energy costs on a monthly and annual basis.
- Our hot water cylinders are wrapped.
Water Efficiency & Quality
- All toilets are run on a dual flush system and urinals are timing activated.
- Self closing taps installed in all bathrooms and cleaning cupboards.
- We regularly survey our customers and evaluate satisfaction levels.
- Local produce and wines are incorporated in menus.
- We encourage our local suppliers to reduce the use of or recycle packaging.
Policies and Procedures
- We have a simple ‘Environmental and Sustainable Business Policy’ on display to ensure it is easily read and understood by customers and staff.
- All staff sign a copy of the Policy during induction.
- Staff are very conscious of our current sustainable practices and are committed to ensuring the success of our business operation.
- A staff representative forms part of the Tourism Services Department "Green Team" and attends quarterly meetings.
- A section on sustainability is incorporated in the WMC staff induction process.
- Staff are actively encouraged to log ideas on the team notice board.
- Sustainable ideas are discussed and recorded at monthly staff meetings.
- All staff have an agreed objective as part of their annual performance appraisal in respect to donating time to a charity or a community organisation.
- We are able to assist charity and community organisations with discounted venue rental when their event directly benefits the citizens of Napier.
- We regularly have students from the Eastern Institute of Technology (EIT) to visit our facilities and when appropriate we assist both EIT and local High Schools with workplace experience.